October 31, 2006

Time for a Mad Cal Halloween Movie Review

The movie Saw was genius. I had never seen anything like it before. The villain Jigsaw was so twisted even I was impressed with his evilness. That little masked thing I added to my sidebar is one of the creepiest dolls in any movie. Jigsaw could probably find a way to use his doll to trap Chucky (from Child's Play) at a table and force him to drink tea with Barbie. Except it would probably be some kind of acid instead of tea.

Saw II was hugely hyped up because of all the success of the first movie. It was a little more predictable and didn't have the shock value of the original, but not bad for a sequel. It would have been much better if they had gotten Mark Walhberg to be in it instead of his brother Donnie.

I was really excited to watch Saw III. But it didn't turn out as great as I had hoped. I think they started just going for the blood and gore at the expense of a really good story. (The movie Hostel was kind of like that.) There were two or three want-to-turn-my-eyes-away-but-need-to-look-because-it-is-so-sickening moments, but you should really only watch this movie if you have seen the first two, since the previous movies are referenced quite a bit. I do have the special edition oozing blood version of Saw and also Saw II on dvd if anyone wants to borrow them.

Someone mentioned to me that there are plans to make a total of 10 Saw movies. If that's true, I hope they boost up the evil level in future Saw movies. There's a lot of scary movies made now, and I hope Saw doesn't become like the Friday the 13th series, which just repeated the same story over and over while getting dumber and dumber.

No comments: