March 25, 2006

I guess this Christian youth rally is causing a big stir in the city. I've been to a few of Ron Luce's Acquire the Fire events in the past. It's basically a big Christian get-together to rally up the teens and get them excited for God. Luce has been pimping the Battle Cry theme since last year's event. The main idea is that Christian youths have to fight to take back their generation from all the negative influences of pop culture and media.

The 'Battle Cry' theme probably made this year's much more confrontational than past years. And you can't hold a public rally at SF City Hall without making room for the counter-rally and even the counter-counter-rally. It sounds like Luce's rally at City Hall was to protest gay marriage somehow, even though I thought the original battle plan was for teens to stand up for higher moral standards in media and advertising geared toward their generation. I was kind of confused by that from the article. Maybe they're fighting against the episodes of MTV's dating show Next where ocassionally they will have gay couples. Now that I think about this crap on tv, maybe I should join Luce.

Luce's events in the past have never caused this much commotion, but gay marriage always brings out the best of San Francisco.

From the article:
Earlier this week, the Board of Supervisors passed a resolution condemning the "act of provocation" by what it termed an "anti-gay," "anti-choice" organization that aimed to "negatively influence the politics of America's most tolerant and progressive city."

(Of course, a leader of 'America's most tolerant and progressive city', Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco had this to say: that while such fundamentalists may be small in number, "they're loud, they're obnoxious, they're disgusting, and they should get out of San Francisco." Tolerant indeed.)

This whole thing frustrates me. I think Luce is trying to do a good thing, to get teens to follow higher moral standards. Our society would be much better with less sex and violence. Of course, in San Francisco, trying to promote those values leads to abortion-rights advocates, anti-war activists and atheists teaming up to protest a Christian youth rally. (Atheists protesting against God amuses me. How can you protest that which you do not believe exist? And you would think the anti-war folks would be for less violence on tv. Maybe they're protesting the Battle Cry theme itself.) I just hate how everything gets so political and somehow gay marriage is always such a big friggin deal in SF that it overshadows what I thought was the initial message for Christian youths.
Fighting issues like gay marriage or evolution should not be a Christian's number one priority. I believe God has more useful intentions for His people. Likewise, I think many of the constant protesters in SF should have better things to do with their time. For instance, go watch some of the crappy shows on MTV.

When I become President (and I will be a darn better Commander in Chief than that loser Logan on 24), I'm going to take away the freedom of assembly. I'm sure there will be a protest set up somewhere when that happens. Gay reality dating shows will also be outlawed by an executive order. Except for the ones featuring hot girls.

No comments: