May 16, 2005

Bay Area Rescue Mission Golf Tournament

The Rescue Mission Tournament is a 4 person scramble format. Every member of the team hits a shot, we pick the one we like best, and everyone hits from that spot. This process continues until we get the ball in the hole. I usually like this because it means only one of our foursome has to hit a really good shot.

Here's my team:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(from left to right)
Al - His family business is the Svenhard's Bakery. They send lots of danishes to the Mission. I rode in the cart with him and he was a really cool guy. He is a big guy, but doesn't hit very far. Also, his ankle was injured and it limited his mobility, so he sat out some holes near the end.
Me - Supercal
Robert - He works in the Mission office and has been playing golf for a whole week. The Mission staff and program members had fun heckling him all day, but he was really good-natured about it.
Rich - Rich does the morning sports on KGO Radio. I didn't tell him I listen to KNBR. He had a really cool putter and decent pop off the tee, but was wildly inconsistent.

I was really hoping to have at least one preferrably two golfers who were better than me, so I could rely on them to hit good shots and I could just smash away. As it turned out, by the third hole, I became the designated ace in the group. I had really impressed them with my play on the first 2 holes. I liked the fact that the group thought I was the best player, but if I'm the best on a scramble team, that's not a good sign.

I actually hit a lot of good shots. I didn't take as many chances as I normally would have because I didn't want to put any additional pressure on our newbie and injured golfers to hit good shots. We used a lot of my shots early on, but everyone, even Rob, contributed a few shots and made putts for our team. (My putting was pretty weak.)

We finished with a score of 75. We did not come in last, second to last, third to last, fourth to last, fifth from last, or even sixth to last out of 22 teams. I actually didn't see the final standings, but at the time when we posted our score, I know we beat at least 6 teams. A group of old guys placed first with a ridiculous score of 59 (I think they just forgot to count some of their shots). We had a good time and all the proceeds of the tournament and raffle/auction are going to the womens/family shelter and the women's New Beginings recovery program.

Other golf notes:
I got really good at leaning out of the cart on the driver side and picking up my partner's Titleist while steering with my right ring finger and pinkie. (Remember, his ankle was hurting so he didn't get out of the cart much.) It would have been much easier if my wingspan were 3 inches longer.

I would have won the craziest shot of the day if such an award were given. It was an big uphill 155 yard par 3 with a strong headwind. I decided to go with a 4 iron. Because it was a long way up, I swung super hard and pulled the ball way left of where it was supposed to go. So I start walking left to track the ball and it smacks dead on into a tree about 120 yards up on the left side of the fairway. It drops down and falls on the cart path, where it takes a few bounces and then starts rolling straight down the path to where I was standing. It was just like one of those auto-return putting machines, except that it was an auto-return tee shot. It would have travelled -100 yards easily going down the cart path if I had not stopped it when it reached me.
.

No comments: