March 8, 2005

I got off work a few hours early today, so I headed over to the Tilden Park Golf Course in Berkeley to work on my golf skills. I was just going to hit a medium bucket of about 60 balls, but my impatience with the ball machine resulted in dispensing 2 medium buckets instead of just the one I had planned for. So after I picked up the 25 or so balls that overflowed from my bucket designed to hold one medium purchase, I had 120 range balls to blast. Spilling a bucket of range balls is the second most embarassing thing you can do at the driving range. Number one involves shanking a ball into the next stall or off the protective sidewall. (This almost happened to me today too.) You never want to yell 'Fore' at the range.

Good news: While hitting my 3-wood over and over, I finally figured out how to properly rotate my forearms and shift my weight to give the ball that extra turbo power without losing control. I figured this out after about 80 swings.

Bad news: This technique doesn't work when I hit my driver. As a result, my 3 wood travels farther than my driver. And I have a big fat blister on my right thumb.


The Bay Area Rescue Mission's golf tournament fundraiser is going to be in May this year. I just got my packet and will start looking for sponsors. (If I have your address, there is a good chance I will send something your way.) If you are interested in supporting the Bay Area Rescue Mission, please email or call me. This year, all my sponsors will get a autographed tournament-used golf ball. (Ebay value = $0.75!)
.

No comments: