August 19, 2007

Steak Challenge: Half-Marathon

Our unofficial event planning committee is working on planning a half marathon. Some people will run all 13.1 miles, others may jog or even walk. People are calling out other competitors and challenging them in this race. And I have a steak challenge for this event.

All I have to do is finish the race in less than 3 hours. That's an average of 13 minutes a mile. 2 years ago, I ran the SF half marathon. I hurt my knee around mile 10 and walked for a while and still clocked in at 2:19. I'll be the easiest steak I ever won.

Many supporters have said I can easily do this. The only non-believer is the man who made the bet, Wayne. He collected on a few bets against my brother, so I must win in order to restore the family name. He claims that my Pepsi-filled veins and 75 pounds of flab, along with my laziness and lack of discipline to train will doom me. (And he may be right. Yesterday I ran 1.5 miles and was winded.)

I have about 5 weeks to train (race day is 9/29). I spent big bucks on a new pair of running shoes. I'm cutting down to 2 cans of Pepsi a day. I'm reading a book titled The Perfect Mile about the 3 guys who were training to break the 4 minute mile back in 1952. The only other thing I have to do is decide if I want the filet mignon or the porterhouse.

2 comments:

Chart Smart said...

Nice Blog :)

Anonymous said...

Filet mignon is for pansies.