May 24, 2007

I've got a bunch of pals who are in or currently finishing law school, but this is one example of why lawyers (the ambulance-chasing variety) suck: Suit claims restaurant kept giving intoxicated pitcher drinks

From the article: Authorities said the 29-year pitcher had a blood alcohol content of nearly twice the legal limit when he crashed into the back of the tow truck. He was also speeding and using a cell phone and wasn't wearing a seat belt, police chief Joe Mokwa said after the accident. Marijuana was also found in the SUV.

Why would any self-respecting lawyer take up this case? As tragic a story it is that the Cardinal pitcher was killed, just be glad he didn't crash into more vehicles and take out some other lives as well. Why is our society so intent on blaming everyone else for your own mistakes/actions/stupidity? I'm getting fat from eating McDonalds, so rather than eat healthier foods, I'm suing someone. My child is being exposed to too much violence in this video game, and instead of not letting him play the game, I'm suing someone. I spilled hot coffee on myself while trying to smuggle my latte into a movie theater and burned myself, so I'm suing someone.

It makes me think about the end of Rocky V, where Tommy Gunn's money-chasing promoter keeps telling Rocky 'Hit me and I'll sue.' But finally, Rocky just had enough of the jerk and punched him in the face and says "Sue me for what?" (since Rocky had apparently lost all his money in shady deals by his brother in law). If some bastard ever tries to bring one of these frivolous lawsuits against me, that's what I'm going to do.

3 comments:

messy said...

I don't necessarily agree with the tow company and the stalled driver being named as defendants, but...

Naming the bar isn't that far of a stretch. Although I think the original intent of the policy is to protect the greater public from drunk drivers, the courts have been allowing people to sue bars and restaurants for failing to cut people off. This allows victims of drunk driving fatalities to recover for their loss.

As far as the coffee case... read the article located at http://www.atla.org/pressroom/FACTS/frivolous/McdonaldsCoffeecase.aspx

Highlights from the article:
-She initially offered to settle for $20k, but McD's refused.
-McD's knew their coffee was burning people, but didn't do anything about it.
-The court considerably reduced the punitive damages from $2.7M to $480k.

Anonymous said...

"This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous." Jackie Chiles

Anonymous said...

i think one of the biggest problems in our society (the US) is people not taking personal responsiblity anymore for anything. take one look at the media and you'll find people blaming everything from their childhoods, parents, substance abuse, to evil brainwashing mega corporations for the bad decisions they make. the lawyers aren't necessarily the ones to blame, but i'm sure they're not discouraging these lawsuits either as that is their mealticket. the cynic in me thinks that laws are purposefully written in confusing verbage by lawyers so they can protect their niche. but then i watch "A Few Good Men" and i am once again at peace.