July 11, 2005

It's been a while since I wrote anything about baseball, probabaly because both the Giants and my fantasy teams are not doing so well.

The hitters in the home run derby can choose who they want to pitch to them. Most pick one of their coaches who toss batting practice to them, but I wonder if any of them asked for Eric Milton or Alan Embree.

The Padres need to get rid of their tan/green/beige/puke colored uniforms.

Whoever said there's no crying in baseball didn't see Bret Boone after the Mariners waived him. But if I were hitting .231, I might cry too. He's still getting paid $9.25M, so maybe they were just tears of joy.

Kenny Rogers: Knows when to hold 'em, know when to knock 'em over

If I were the commissioner and there were no financial obstacles (like stupid stadium leases), I would disband the teams located in Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and Colorado. Move Houston into the NL West to create 3 5-team division in the NL and 3 4-team division in the AL.

I would also cut out this home field in the World Series to the winner of the All-Star Game business. And dump the rule that every team must have an All-Star. Just guarantee at least one player from the team hosting the game. It makes no sense to have the location of Game 7 of the World Series potentially come down to Felipe Lopez of the last place Reds having to get a hit off Danys Baez of the last place Devil Rays.

If the Giants had followed my advice last year to sign a decent starting pitcher (even someone like Estaban Loiaza) and used Jesse Foppert (or Tyler Walker) to close, Pac Bell Park would be drawing more than 34,000 a night. That said, I should have stuck to my pre-fantasy draft strategy and signed Pedro Martinez for 100 dollars. Instead, I got stuck with an injured Tim Hudson.

I think more pitchers were using steroids or other performance enhancing products than the big sluggers were. Just look at how much every team's bullpen has sucked this year.

The other day on tv, a batter hit a ball down the third base line at Pac Bell Park. The ball rolled out to the wall in the bullpen area and for the first time ever, no fan reached out to grab the ball. Amazing.
.

No comments: