March 22, 2005

Musical Notes

I was listening to the radio today and I heard one of Alanis Morisette's old songs, Ironic. The only ironic thing is that none of the situations she mentions in the lyrics are ironic.
Old man wins the lottery and dies the next day? That's what old people do; they die.
Black fly in your chardonnay? Call the waiter.
A death row pardon two minutes too late? Just bad timing.
All the other stuff, rain on your wedding day, traffic jam when you're already late, that's just bad luck, not irony.

Also, just because you had the brew and she had the chronic does not make it ironic.

Eminem and Toby Keith both have songs titles Mockingbird involving their daughters. Em sings to his daughters while Toby sings with his daughter. Nice to see that someone who tells us to mosh the President and someone who sings about lighting up enemy nations like the 4th of July have something in common.

Song I heard most today: Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I like this song, but the title always remind me of the Vegas Strip.


Onto the Boulevard of Broken Brackets update:

Rule 2 results: 4 out of 5. Southern Illinois messed this up as well as messing up some of my 3 team parlays. (At least they lost in round 2, so I end up 5 for 6)

Rule 3 results: 14 out of 16. Kansas and Syracuse fell in their opening games. Syracuse was one of my Final Four. The Kansas game was great and almost caused us to miss our flight out of Vegas. Several top 4 seeds have fallen in the second round, but I only predicted first round success.

Rule 4 results: 1 for 1. George Washingon lost to Georgia Tech, whom I picked to go to the finals. Of course, Georgia Tech was kocked out in round two.

Rule 5 results: 4 for 7. I just predictied that Utah and Florida would reach the round of 16 and schools with top 25 football teams like Oklahoma, Texas, Louisville, LSU, and Wisconsin would not.

Rule 6 results: 2 of 4. Only UNC and Illinois are still alive in my Final Four. I have exactly 1 out 2 finalist, 2 of the Final Four, 4 of the Elite Eight and 8 of the Sweet 16 still alive. Yes, I'm half dead.

I did get the UAB pick, Utah over Oklahoma, and NC St over UConn. Of course, all that gets me is a 574,332th place finish in ESPN's bracket challenge.
.

No comments: