January 23, 2005

I don't use a lot of curse words. The only time I really feel like swearing is when I play poker online. In my yet unreleased poker book, the online poker chapter will contain many 4, 6, and 12 letter words that you can't use on television. After losing approximately $9100* playing online, you get used to having many bad beats. But yesterday, I had one that just pissed me off to no end. If I were at a real table, I would have used the dive-over-the-table tackle move I saw on the commercials for ESPN's Tilt (I do not watch Tilt nor any other ESPN produced programming).

(*figure may not be accurate)

I was playing in a $5 or $10 heads up match (can't play the $1000 games anymore with my current bankroll) and was down by about a 2-1 chip margin, so I needed a big hand to turn things around. I was the in the big blind with 5-6. The other guy called so I just checked with my crap cards. The flop was 3-4-7, so I had flopped an unnbeatable straight. I went all-in. The other guy called. He had K-4, so he had a pair against my straight.

Turn card: 7. I'm still way ahead.

River card: 7. #$%$@#$%@#$@%$@#%#@@%&

The bastard's one pair had BALCO'd into a full fricken house and my 3-4-5-6-7 sent me straight to Loserviller, where I ran into 49ers owner John York.


Bonus NFL notes:
Michael Vick is overrated as a quarterback. His passer rating this season was 78.1, exactly the same as Tim Rattay and behing Jake Plummer (84.5). He's the NFL version of the NBA's Vince Carter and MLB's Alex Rodriguez.

Pittsburg lost the game when they decided to kick a FG on 4th and goal at the start of the 4th quarter when trailing by 14. They were at the 2 yard line! They had 1st and goal at the 4 and could not score. I understand it's not as easy as playing Madden 2005, but a lousy 2 yards for a score in a conference championship game and you choose to kick? The Bus doesn't have enough gas to get 2 yards? Maybe the Steelers thought Tedy Bruschi was going to beat them up or someting.

No comments: