May 11, 2010

I'm going on a hunger strike. I'm not eating until it's time for dinner. It's a good thing I had a big lunch today.

From the story on sfgate:

Hunger strikers presented the administration with four main demands: that Birgeneau publicly oppose the Arizona law, make the campus a sanctuary for undocumented students and workers, rehire more than two dozen laid-off janitors, and drop disciplinary proceedings against dozens of students who occupied or vandalized buildings last fall to protest rising fees.



So they want
1) the chancellor to say he doesn't like what's going on in Arizona, even though it seems all of California has already expressed its outrage
2) to turn a college campus which belongs to the citizens of CA into an international city of refuge (not sure if the US will go along with this)
3) re-hire janitors who were cut because the state can't afford to pay them
4) give amnesty to a group of students who broke the law and damaged campus property

Why not just ask for a big bag of gold coins and demand world peace while you're at it?

I never understood the point of a hunger strike anyways. I'm not going to eat until you do things my way. Like I really care what happens to you. If you starve to death, I will have no opposition. If these students were smart (which they obviously are not, despite somehow getting into UC Berkeley), they would find a way to set up a reverse hunger strike. Nobody eats until I get my way!

No comments: