January 30, 2005

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Sunday is usually the only day of the week I have to get up before the big hand on the clock reaches the double digits, but I seem to always find ways to make myself late. I have to be out of my house by 9:30am so I can get to SF, pick up a few kids, and get to church by 10:05-10:10am since service usually starts at 10:15am. But I'm really not a morning person because I always get these crazy thoughts in my head when I wake up early.

2 Sundays ago, I woke up and the first thought in my mind was 'What if Lebron isn't the best player in the NBA?' This was the week before the Cavs came in and whipped the Warriors. The only reason I remember this is because I actually thought about this question from the whole time I woke up until I got to the toll plaza on the Bay Bridge that day. I didn't even know why I cared about this.

Last Sunday, I woke up, looked at my alarm clock and saw it was already 9:08am. I thought 'My snooze button must not be working. Let me test it to see.' Nevermind the fact that I was already behind schedule. I set my alarm to go off in one minute, hit the snooze button and went back to sleep. I just rely on my NASCAR skills to get to church on time.

This week, I actually woke up on time and was ready to head out when a thought occured to me to get the phone numbers of all the Ticketmaster locations in northern California. I figured I had a .000000023% chance of calling in to get U2 tickets for the San Jose show when tickets went on sale to the general public at 10:00am.

9:58am I started calling the numbers. I almost got hit by 2 cars while I was trying to see what numbers on the keypad corresponded to TIXS (it's 8497 for future reference). I called San Jose and SF numbers and was unable to get through.

10:00am I picked up the first kid on my route at 14th and Irving. Called the 925 and 707 area code locations. No luck getting through.

10:02am I picked up two brothers at 17th and Judah. Called SF number a few more times. Still too busy. If I can't get through in the next minute or so, I figured it was over.

10:04am Last pickup at 19th and Moraga. Tried calling 408 number again and it got through! Actually the system put me on hold, but it was the best I had so far. A quick look at the clock made me realize that the operators better get to me fast.

10:10am Dropped route off at church, looking for parking. Ticketmaster appreciates my patience and a sales rep will get to me as soon as possible. They tell me to be sure to get the sales rep's name.

10:14am Parked on Santiago. Still on hold. Haven't been on my phone this long since the time I called the pretty girl on the tv.

10:20am Walked into church lobby and see the legendary Wayne, who once beat up a current NFL linebacker who will be playing this coming Sunday because he stole Wayne's pencil (I'm adding to the legend). Wayne is also an uber-U2 fan. I think he might have a Bono tattoo somewhere. Tells me I can get tickets from him, so I can finally hang up on Ticketmaster. WooHoo!!

Now it's time to place the big Super Bowl wagers to pay for the concert tickets. (Super Bowl post later this week.)

No comments: